Short backstory: I quit my job last year. I didn’t realize at the time that I was quitting to become a creative blogger…I just knew corporate life was no longer a lifestyle I wanted, even if it meant making some cuts and flying by the seat of my pants.
I'm good at getting moving and staying busy, but I have NO routine. This is a problem.
My routine consists of waking up when I want to wake up (but no sleeping more than 8 hours)...then I eat what I want to eat…and then it’s on to doing what I want to do. Rad, right?
It really is awesome. I consider myself very fortunate to make my own schedule…but my routine needs some serious structure. I have a million ideas and I MUST start them all immediately. I want to do every project right now. So I become paralyzed and mostly work all day and complete nothing. There, I said it.
WELL, LUCKY ME… the first challenge of the 21-Day Productivity Mission is to revamp my morning routine. Surely by revamp they mean START a morning routine.
Mayi and April over at Connecting The Gaps shared some of their morning rituals…which include herbal teas and green drinks and lemony water and yoga. As much as I would love to be that person, I mostly accept that I’m not. Yet?
If I could find a way to make biscuits and gravy (with a side of mimosas) work for me, I surely would!
But since I’m open to new things, I’m going to try something Mayi suggested in last night’s video chat. Wheatgrass. Um…can you say barf? I’m making this small, gross addition to my morning routine for two reasons:
- It’s easy. I can drink a ‘shot’ and get it out of the way in 5 seconds, while feeling like I got some greens like real people do! And I love to feel like I’ve done something positive! Small steps.
- It can’t hurt. I read up on some of the benefits and I’m on board, even if it’s placebo effect. Green stuff? In my body? What’s next, drum circles and essential oils? (Kidding, Samyak Yamauchi!)
So I'm getting on the Green Train tomorrow (really!)…because today I looked all over for this wheatgrass stuff and couldn’t find it. I will NOT take that as a sign.
In following with the challenge goals, this is what my morning looked like. I will continue implementing some of these things going forward.
- Woke up when my body was ready and stretched out all the kinks.
- Put on my workout clothes and sat in them for like an hour.
- Took a walk to the neighborhood coffee shop. I smiled at 3 strangers and petted 2 random dogs on the way. Then I came home and squeezed my own dog (this made him fart audibly and we got embarrassed).
- The rest of the morning I will do blog work and social media.
- Until my baked chicken dings in the oven. Then I’ll eat it. With mashed potatoes on the side (as a wise man once said, it ain’t easy being green)!
NOW I GET TO PAINT THE REST OF THE DAY!
And that's what it's really about.
This is what I'm working on. I'll show my progress tomorrow!